If you’re planning a renovation or other project that will generate a lot of waste, you’ll need to hire a skip. Whilst this is a fairly straightforward process, it’s important to consider skip size before your project begins. Skip hire companies will not be able to pick up your skip if it is too heavy or overfilled – so selecting the correct size is essential. You don’t want to come to the end of your project and find that you can’t dispose of the final bits of rubble!
What Is the Ideal Skip Size for My Needs?
The ideal skip size for your needs will depend on the type and amount of waste you’ll be disposing of. Here are some general guidelines:
- 6-yard skip/small builders skip – This is a large skip that’s ideal for major projects, such as a house clearance or a commercial renovation. It can hold up to 60 black bin bags.
- 8-yard skip/large builders skip – This is a very large skip that’s suitable for very large projects, such as a demolition or a construction site. It can hold up to 80 black bin bags.
- 16-yard skip – This is the second largest skip currency available from us and is enough for most large-scale projects.
- 20-yard skip – The largest skip we do – this is suitable for the biggest renovation projects.
Of course, these are just general guidelines and you may fit more or less into your skip depending on your project.
What Else Do You Need to Know About Skip Sizing?
In addition to skip size, there are a few other factors you need to consider during the skip hire process. These include:
- The weight of the waste: Some skips have weight restrictions, so you’ll need to make sure the waste you’re disposing of doesn’t exceed the weight limit.
- The location of the skip: If you’re placing the skip on a public road, you may need to obtain a permit from the local council.
- The type of waste: Some skips are not suitable for certain types of waste, such as hazardous materials.
Expert Skip Hire From L. Jarvis & Sons
By following the tips in this article, you can choose the right skip size for your needs and avoid any unnecessary costs.
If you’re interested in skip hire, L. Jarvis & Sons are here to help. We offer affordable rates on all of our skips and have a range of sizes to choose from. Contact us today and we’ll be happy to discuss our skip size options to find the right size for your project.